We are proud of what we do – come and see for yourself
Would you like to visit the working quayside fish market where we buy your fish? We hold tours throughout the year as a chance for chefs to come down to Cornwall and see, firsthand, where their fresh fish comes from.
Seafood trading starts early in the morning and the auctions are very exciting! Every day, up to 30 species of fish in all shapes and sizes are sold. The seafood market is a primary source of supply for us as wholesale fish merchants, but the tour won’t stop there. You’ll have a chance to meet experienced fishermen, buyers, filleters, fish smokers and chefs who’ll be happy to share their knowledge with you.
In Cornwall we actively support local fishing communities and sustainable fishing. If you would like to learn about sustainable fishing and our seafood markets, we can arrange a meeting with experts from Seafood Cornwall. For availability email Tommy Mooney or call 01726 861666.
We suggest you arrive in Penzance the evening before. Main line trains terminate at Penzance station or if you’re travelling by car, there are good road links to the town. We can arrange accommodation to suit your needs (at cost) and you’ll have the opportunity to meet like-minded chefs for a drink at a local hostelry on the evening before your visit.
Meet at 05:45 – Newlyn fish market
– Meet Rob Wing, Director of Wing of St Mawes and fish merchant with 30 years experience
– Watch the fish auction “in full swing” at Newlyn Fish Market
– Have access to the quayside and the many different types of fishing boats tied up alongside the quay
– Breakfast at the Mission to Seamen Cafe
– Drive to Wing of St. Mawes premises (allow 40 minutes)
10:00 – A Tour of the Fish Merchant Factory
– Meet the team working in Wing of St Mawes
– Seafood Tasting – Cornish crab meat and smoked salmon
– Have a go at filleting or see how the professional filleters do it
– See how we handle, smoke and cook your fresh fish & shellfish
– See how live lobsters and crabs are being kept
– Visit the National Lobster Hatchery (subject to special prior arrangement)
The tour will finish around 14.00.
“A quick note to thank you for organising such an enjoyable and educational trip for Andre and myself. It was very illuminating to see the trail of the fish, from boat to plate! We were particularly impressed with both the skill and professionalism of your staff and also the hospitality showed to us during a tasty lunch. Simon’s a great chef!
As regards Raleigh’s Cross, we would like to switch our fish order across to you and Andre has been given authority to start ordering as and when.”